Friday, May 4, 2012

Organize Your Internet Favorites

My computer is and always has been my "hoarder zone."  I don't hoard things that are tangible, but I do hoard things that are digital.  I can't seem to find the strength to delete crappy graphics I've made, blog posts that were never finished, or internet favorites that I know I'll probably never visit again.  Now, just because I hoard these things, does not mean that I do not do so in an organized fashion.  Today I just wanted to share with you one of the many tools in my organizing belt: Tidy Favorites.

I'm not a huge fan of the "online" version, simply because sometimes I don't want to "sign in" just to add a site to my favorites.  That's why I went with their PC version (which can be downloaded here).  I prefer the free version because, well, it's free.  I believe the only difference between free and pro is the option to search through your favorites.  Because my favorites are all in seperate folders and already very organized, I don't really need this feature.

Let me tell you why I love this little jewel.  When you open it up, you see thumbnails of the websites (a skosh similar to Pinterest or Juxtapost) instead of just the websites' names.  The thumbnails can be resized if you need them larger or smaller.  You can rearrange your favorites within your folders by a simple drag/drop function.  It will consolidate all of your bookmarks from each of your browsers into one central location; it's very helpful if you use multiple browsers (which I sometimes do).  Links that you only need temporarily (such as an article to read or a page a friend sent to you) can be easily located and deleted.



How I Use Tidy Favorites:
When you add bookmarks to Tidy Favorites, it places them into a stack in the right section of the screen.  You can choose to view those bookmarks now, leave them for later, or you can organize them into folders (that you create) to hold onto permanently.  The orange tabs at the bottom of the screen are my folders: Recipes, Blog Crap, Fonts & Clipart, Craft Stuff, Bills, Tutorials, etc.  In each folder (or tab) you can create subfolders to further organize your favorites.  For example, you can see my "Recipes" folder above.  I have created subfolders to organize all of my recipes: Appetizers, Beverages, Breads & Pastries, Sandwiches, Slow Cooker, etc.  The images you see below the folders are recipes that have not yet been organized (don't they look delicious, by the way?).  

While my favorites were fairly organized before I ever had this little gadget, now they're "prettier" and easier for me to locate.  Thank you, Tidy Favorites!


No comments:

Post a Comment